About Me

My photo
I am 34 years old. I live in Tallahassee, Florida, my hometown. I enjoy spending time with my family and friends and stay busy working full time while going to graduate school.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Warning: Whine Ahead, Use Caution

In an effort to support my fellow classmates in EME 6635, I have spent a large amount of time following blogs, responding to posts and attempting participation in the Produsage Projects. I wholeheartedly believe that we are all working with a limited amount of time and an unending amount of tasks.
Please consider this when you post a link to an interesting article or website on your blog. If possible, provide a summary of the key points. This way, busy readers get the best of both worlds. We get the gist of the article in a fraction of the time and then we can choose to visit the link or bookmark it for later.

6 comments:

  1. Great post and great idea. The info overload is a bit heavier for me this week and yes, that would be helpful to have "Cliff Notes" of what we come across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm.

    I may be guilty of this but I've been doing my best to include the headline and a brief blurb about why I'm posting what I am...

    However, most of the articles are short enough that a summary may be redundant...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point ! Being Produsager needs effort on making new connection based on reinterpretation from the sea of information in web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to take the contrary view here. (Shocking, I know). Part of being literate in a web 2.0 world is the ability to parse information quickly.

    You can't really dictate how others present their links. Its sort of like tagging - you can't dictate how others tag but you can possible see new ways to look at things differently because of how people tag their information.

    Maybe one thing that could help is mousing over the link and looking in the bottom of your browser to get context from the URL.

    I think the power and burden is on each of us as the users of information - we can either connect and dig in deeper to get more info, or we can filter and move on to the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm kind of like Gina in this regard, plus I generally don't like to rely on other people's descriptions of a source. Often when I read the source myself I pick out entirely different key points.

    I'm sure I miss stuff that really would be useful as I filter, just as I visit other sites and I'm disappointed that they don't live up to the promise of the link I followed, but I like to be the one in control of that journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A little summary before the link is not too much to ask. I think that we can all take responsibility for filling the blogs and discussion boards with unexplained links.
    In my 30 years of being able to read, I have never had the ability to "parse information quickly" and I probably will never have it. Frankly, I don't want to. I want to read, understand, think about and remember what I read. That takes time.

    ReplyDelete